River Trails Park District will begin remodeling and updating The Zone Facility in July 2019. The Zone will be closed starting July 8 and is anticipated to be completed late October 2019. Programs and rentals which are held in the Glass Room will continue as scheduled.
Back in 2015, River Trails Park District began to reevaluate the usage of the facility now known as The Zone. The district looked at programming trends, strategic planning and evaluated the amenities which could be used all year long in a more efficient format. The district began construction in the warehouse section of the building in January 2016. Much of the lighting was upgraded to LED lights and a 70 foot wall was moved, creating a nearly 13,000 square foot interior play space and artificial turf fields.
In 2016 River Trails Park District became the first park district in Illinois to offer a dedicated indoor facility space for Parkour. Parkour is a form of gymnastics, street acrobatics and free running. It can be compared to American Ninja Warrior, military obstacle courses and CrossFit. Parkour programs include running, jumping, catching, rolling, flipping, tumbling, martial arts, strength training and more. This program uses amenities such as a foam pit, climbing walls, warp walls, walking beams and jump boxes.
With much popularity and need for more parkour classes, birthday parties and rentals the district will begin expanding and improving 12,000 square feet.
The project will expand the Parkour space by 1100 sq. ft.
- There will be two foam pits with more overhead activities
- Three warp walls of varying heights
- a larger free-running area will occupy the new space
- There will be plenty of seating so that the parkour area can be viewed from one location
The 7,000 square feet of artificial turf will reside in the same location at The Zone
- A new common area overlooking the turf will include: expanded bleacher seating, a new lounge area with tables and chairs, and charging stations for electronics
- there will be new and larger cubbie spaces to store gear when participating in programs
- Multiple athletic programs will continue on the turf and will include indoor soccer, archery, arrowtag, athletic camps/classes and birthday parties
Brand new to The Zone
- Two birthday party rooms
- a 1000 square foot multi-purpose room with storage and floor to ceiling windows.
After construction and remolding is completed, the River Trails Park District will hold a grand re-opening event at The Zone in the coming months. For updates and photos on The Zone construction, check back here and on our Facebook page.