This amazing project began in Fall 2019 and is NOW open and ready for play!
• November 2020 – the playground, athletic courts, and paths are completed and open!
• May 2021 for the athletic fields to grow and be ready for use.
View Playground Video
Burning Bush Trails playground, athletic courts, and paths were completed in November and are now open for play! The athletic field will need a season to grow in and will be fenced off for another year. Burning Bush Trails Park is a showpiece, just as we anticipated and promised to the community.
River Trails Park District received confirmation from the Illinois Department of Natural Resources for a $400,000 OSLAD grant (Open Space Lands Acquisition and Development) for Burning Bush Trails Park. It is currently one of the heaviest used parks in the district and the third largest park with a total of 10 acres. There will be two phases of construction, the first phase began in autumn 2019 and after COVID-delays, was completed in November 2020. The total cost of the project was 1.8 million dollars, with the OSLAD grant being dedicated to phase one.
Construction for phase one of the park included new innovative and highly interactive park equipment for all ages with an important key component of increasing ADA accessibility. Phase one of the project will include:
- new playground equipment with swings
- two pickleball courts
- shoot-around basketball court
- ping pong
- sand play
- micro soccer field
- redeveloped futsal and roller hockey courts
- tennis court and bang wall
- fitness stations
- passive gardens with pollinator education area
- open play space
- hammocks bollards
- walking paths that will facilitate access throughout the site.
Phase two of the park will include a new water detention space by lowering the baseball and soccer fields by four feet to hold excessive storm water. The River Trails Park District and the Village of Mount Prospect are working together on both phases of the park project.